A common issue with new build homes, is a lack of family space. Albyn Architects solved this families problem by forming a single storey extension to the rear of the house.
This created additional Living accommodation, with defined areas for the Kitchen, Dining and Family space. The pitched roof design allowed for lots of natural daylight and a vaulted ceiling. Bi-fold doors provided a connection to the garden, with access onto a new area of decking creating an outdoor seating/entertaining area.
Issues with existing house
- Open plan area of new build house lacking a defined Family space.
- Lack of natural daylight to the rear of the house.
- Standard height ceilings.
- Insufficient external terrace/seating area.
- Form new extension to create large Family space, connected to existing Kitchen and Dining space, to create open plan area.
- Remove existing bi-fold doors, to be reused in extension, to create connection with extension. Eliminating the requirement for a new structural opening.
- Pitched roof creates sense of space, with rooflights drawing in natural daylight at different times of the day.
- Formation of large decked area creates connection with extension and a defined outdoor entertaining space.
- Illuminated wine rack creates a nice feature.
- Integrated fireplace and TV wall helps to zone the different areas.