We tailor our services to meet the needs of each individual client. The initial free consultation enables us to understand your project requirements, develop a brief and provide advice on the best way to deliver your project.
We have gathered together some of our most frequently asked questions below. However, if you have any project specific questions or would like to discuss the process further, please contact us using the form at the bottom of the page.
We aim to provide fixed costs for all architectural services. This is usually achieved in a 2 step process: providing a fixed cost feasibility study, and reporting full project costs and project services based on a design which meets your brief. Once this is agreed, the fees will not increase unless there is a change to the initial working scope.
Building costs are dependent on the scale, design and complexity of the proposal. However, we typically base building work costs as follows:
Residential (new builds/extensions):
Excludes supply of kitchens, plumbing fixtures, flooring/tiling and is dependent on structural alterations.
£1600-1800 + VAT / sqm (ground floor)
£800-1200 + VAT / sqm (1st floor - building above new ground floor structures)
Excludes M&E items and is dependant on structural alterations.
£200 + VAT / sqm (basic spec)
£500 + VAT / sqm (medium spec)
£700 + VAT / sqm (high spec)
Albyn Architects obtains cost estimations from local contractors as part of the initial feasibility study stage, allowing our clients to make informed decisions before moving ahead with approvals.
Albyn Architects typically carries out a feasibility study as the initial stage. This includes:
- Measurement survey of the property
- Existing and proposed design drawings
- 3D visualisations
- Communicating the design proposal
- Cost estimations of the building work
- We then report the project costs and project services for the complete project.
At Albyn Architects, we work with clients from the initial conception of the project right through to its completion. This includes dealing with all aspects of the project, including: liaising with the council; appointing the structural engineer and consultants; organising building contractors; and inspecting the building work on site.
We work with a group of trusted local building contractors. We invite the most suitable candidates for the project to provide us with fixed tenders. Once we have chosen the best placed contractor for your project, we allow them to run through the details with you. This allows the opportunity to meet the selected contractor to ask any questions and confirm they are happy to go ahead.
This is fully dependent on the type, size and complexity of each individual project. The Albyn Architects team typically works towards this schedule:
- Feasibility study: 2 - 4 weeks.
- Planning: 2 - 3 weeks to prepare the drawings, then a further 8 weeks once the application is submitted.
- Building warrant: 2 - 4 weeks to prepare the drawings, then 8 weeks once the application is submitted.
- Tender: 3 - 4 weeks, in which time the contractors report their tender costs. This is when you have the chance to meet the chosen contractor and ensure everyone involved is satisfied to proceed with the project.
- Construction: The appointed contractor will confirm the duration of work at the tender stage.
At Albyn Architects, we work with building contractors who provide fixed price tender costs. The only scenarios where additional costs would arise is if you wish to alter the project on site, change the specification, or something unknown is discovered when opening up the existing building (typically groundworks or structural items).
If you have a question for our team, please get in touch via the form below. We will get back to you as soon as possible.